Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information Canary may collect and how we may use it:
What personal information we collect
- When you create an Canary account, provide your credit card or other electronic payment information, connect to our services, contact us or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and certain elements of your credit card or other electronic payment information.
- When you share content using the Canary site, Canary may collect the information you provide such as name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. Canary will use such information to fulfill your requests, provide the relevant product or service, or for anti-fraud purposes.
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on Canary’s latest product announcements and upcoming opportunities. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by utilizing the ‘unsubscribe’ button found in any of our promotional emails.
- We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes. We also may use your personal information for account and network security purposes, including in order to protect our services for the benefit of all our customers. Where we use your information for anti-fraud purposes it arises from the conduct of an online transaction with us. We limit our uses of data for anti-fraud purposes to those which are strictly necessary and within our assessed legitimate interests to protect our customers and our services. For certain online transactions we also may validate the information provided by you with publicly accessible sources.
- We may use your personal information to verify identity, assist with identification of users, and to determine appropriate services. For example, we may use date of birth to determine the age of anyone purchasing Canary products.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with Canary, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We also may use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve Canary’s products, services, and customer communications.
- If you enter into a contest or similar promotion, we may use the information you provide to administer these programs.
Source of your personal information where they are not collected from you
We may validate the information provided by you when creating an Canary ID with a third party for security and fraud prevention purposes.
For research and development purposes, we may use datasets such as those that contain images, voices or other data that could be associated with an identifiable person. When acquiring such datasets, we do so in accordance with applicable law in the jurisdiction in which the dataset is hosted. When using such datasets for research and development, we do not attempt to re-identify individuals who may appear therein.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
- We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where an Canary product is purchased or shipped so we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.
- We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including search queries and which products you purchase, when and in what quantities. This information may be used to improve the relevancy of results provided by our services. Except in limited instances to ensure quality of our services over the Internet, such information will not be associated with your IP address.
- With your explicit consent, we may collect data about how you use our services and applications in order to help app developers improve their apps.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Cookies and Other Technologies
If you want to disable cookies, check with your provider to find out how to disable cookies. Please note certain features of the Canary website will not be available once cookies are disabled.
As is true of most internet services, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit web-sites and applications, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information to understand and analyze trends, to administer the site, to learn about user behavior on the site, to improve our product and services, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. Canary may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.
In some of our email messages, we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on the Canary website. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our website. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, you should not click text or graphic links in the email messag-es.
Pixel tags enable us to send email messages in a format customers can read, and they tell us whether mail has been opened. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to customers.
Disclosure to Third Parties
At times Canary may make certain personal information available to certain third parties that work with Canary to provide products and services, provide payment options or which help Canary market to customers. For example, when you create your Canary account, you authorize Canary, certain of its strategic partners and your carrier to exchange the information you provide during the activation process to carry out service. If you are approved for service, your account will be governed by Canary and your carrier’s respective privacy policies. Personal information only will be shared by Canary to provide or improve our products, services and advertising. It will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.
We may find it necessary − by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public or other governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence − for Canary to disclose your personal information. We also may disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
We also may disclose information about you if we determine disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
Protection of Personal Information
Canary takes the security of your personal information very seriously. Sensitive information is encrypted by using secure socket layer technology (SSL). Canary online services protect your personal information during transit using encryption such as Transport Layer Security (TLS). When your personal data is stored by Canary, we use computer systems with limited access housed in facilities using physical security measures. We use industry standards to protect personal information, but you should be aware that no method of transmission over the Internet, or data storage, is 100% secure. We make our best efforts to protect your personal information, but we cannot guarantee its ultimate security.
When you purchase Canary products, services, or applications or post in an Canary forum, chat room, or social networking service, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. For example, if you list your name and email address in a forum posting, that information is public. Please take care when using these features.
If you or anyone else who has access to your account logs on to a device that is owned by a third party, any information shared within your access users—including calendar, location, photos, and purchases—may be downloaded on to that third-party device thereby disclosing any such shared information.
The existence of Automated Decision-Making, Includ-ing Profiling
Canary does not make any decisions involving the use of algorithms or profiling that significantly affect you.
Integrity and Retention of Personal Information
Access to Personal Information
You can help ensure your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete, and up to date by signing in at https://canaryskincare.com/me. For any other personal information we hold, we will provide you with access at that site for any purpose including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate. If you decide to delete your account, you can accomplish this by signing into https// canaryskincare.com/cancel.
We may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexations, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. We also may decline aspects of deletion or access requests if we believe doing so would undermine our legitimate use of data for anti-fraud and security purposes as described earlier. Online tools for the exercise of access, correction or deletion requests are available at:
Where the online tool is not currently available for access requests or if you require additional assistance, a request may be delivered directly to:
We understand the importance of taking extra precautions to protect the privacy and safety of children who may gain access to the Canary site. Children under the age of 18, or equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction, are not permitted to purchase products or create their own Canary account.
If we learn we have collected the personal information of anyone under the age of 18 or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
If at any time a parent determines anyone under the age of 18 or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction has created an Canary account or purchased Canary products, they may contact us through one of the options provided above to delete this information.
To provide location-based services related to Canary products, Canary and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your computer or device you use to purchase Canary products. Where available, location-based services may use GPS, Bluetooth, and your IP Address, along with crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations, and other technologies to determine your devices’ approximate location. Since we require IP addresses for each account, this location data is collected in a form that does identify you and is used by Canary and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, your device may share its geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.
Third-Party Sites and Services
The Canary website, products, applications, and services may contain links to third-party websites, products, and services. Our products and services also may use or offer products or services from third parties − for example, a third-party payment service.
Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
Our Companywide Commitment to Your Privacy
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to Canary employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
complaint about a possible breach of local privacy laws, please contact us at https:// canaryskincare.com/contact.
When a privacy question or question about personal information received in response to an access/download request is received we have a dedicated team which triages the contacts and seeks to address the specific concern or query you are raising. If your issue is more substantive in nature, we may seek more information from you. All such substantive contacts receive a response. If you are unsatisfied with the reply received, you may refer your complaint to the relevant regulator in your jurisdiction. If you ask us, we will endeavor to provide you with information about relevant complaint avenues which may be applicable to your circumstances.